Tuesday, October 14, 2008

rodez

Yes, So I have a few moments.

I don't feel like going into the in depth intricacies that are Frenchness and the famous french bureaucracy. I need to write those thoughts down and edit them before I think of posting them here because that's the golden stuff that British people eat up and I can put into a book.

But I will say this.

Rodez is a lovely town. It's main probalem is one of isolation. Part of this is likely the fact I haven't sorted out all the transit intricacies yet, but most of it is Rodez is a bit of a backwater, connected by rail to a couple of places far away that need to be gone through to reach anywhere of any significance. Bit of a pain, but there you go.

The bigger pain, howeverm is that I never learned to drive a manual transmission. Fine in Canada but here everythign is stick, and if I ever wanted to buy a car, or more likely rent one, it would certainly come in handy. Unfortunately I don't have the skill, so I can either rent a car and learn to drive the damn thing as I go (somehow hiding the fact I'm incompetent until I am out of sight) or sit here on my keester (booo) or convince another assistant to drive somewhere with me. That saves a bit of money so it's a possibility, but involves agreement etc etc.

Another thought I had involved buying a motorcycle, but while I'm sure I could figure it out I don't think the French are going to want to give me one without an actual motorcycle license...the little things.

So there I am.

But there are still many places to visit just on the train. I went to Albi just south of here the other day and there is still the entirety of Toulouse to visit. That should keep me entertained for a while. It's only if a I really want to take myself on a tour of the out of the way castles and villages that the Cathars hid out in that I need a car. Unfortunately I do so I'll have to think of something clever.

No comments: