Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Thoughts on Temples

Khon Kaen to Chiang Mai was a long long long bus ride. I especially appreciated the ass in front me who put his chair bag. Now these chairs are set up so they can go way further back than any Canadian bus. I had my legs WIDE. I couldn't move. Stupid bastard. Fortunately after our rest stop, something jammed his charid and prevented him from putting it back at all. That was of course my knees. Heh.

Chiang Mai rules. Slightly cooler (near the mountains) and the areas we want to get to are all within walking distance. There are even some neato ruins of the old city walls around to keep me entertained.

There are so many temples about, and unfirtunate4ly a lot of them lack teh holy tranquility one might expect to find. Maybe it's the cab drivers that wait outside to bother you afterwards, the ones that drop you 3km out of towm...although I shouldn't say too much. After all I didn't clarify with the driver that I wanted to go past the zoo.

I'm going to have to be careful about this whole blog thing. I want to seem like a worldy traveller to all my adoring fans but at the same time that means I have to accept all the wonderful differences within society here. I have to smile and nod and just accept it. As some of you may know, from time to to time I will criticize others. This doesn't neccessarily mean I think I'm right, just that something someone else is doing bothers me.

So if I happen to launch into a diatribe about why there are too many temples here, relaz. I still repect the culture and am an open minded traveller. At the same time though, I am also James and consider myself an equal opportunity critiquer.

I'll happily make fun of a Catholic that pisses me off, so why can't I do the same for Buddhists? To me everyone is equal.

Well now that I sound like a big prick, I'll be quiet. I think I'm just over tired and cranky. FREAKING TUKTUKS!!!!

No comments: