Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Aleppo

So here I am in Aleppo. A nice city, but one I have a hard time getting a firm grasp on.

Maybe that's because I'm coming out of the sick (feeling better, doing solid things, regaining an appetite), and tired (sleeping a lot the last few days, looking forward to some more again tonight), or who knows. It's reputedly a more conservative city, but that doesn't affect me too much...fewer shoulders to look at I suppose. I guess the streets are quite entwined??? Ah, heck I don't know. Maybe if I'd had time and energy to wander more I would have enjoyed the place a bit more, and I certainly didn't dislike it so there's nothing to complain about.

So Aleppo. It is the land of the Souq, lots and lots of them, both the tourist kind and the domestic home wares and toothpaste kind. Really you can't go wrong. These souqs are narrower and lower than the ones in Damascus so they have a slightly more authentic feel. I even bought something in one today. I didn't bargain very hard, but what are you going to do? I figured I had to get SOMETHING in one.

The other main site in town, aside from wandering various quarters is the citadel. A human made mound with lots of fortifications (in various states of repair) on top. Wicked views, some nice dark holes and an amazingly restored throne room. The things you can do with wood and a bit of glaze.

Aside from that...?

Nice enough, but we're moving on shortly. Turkey to be more specific, tomorrow at noon, and after arriving in Antakya we're going to try and find an overnight bus to places elsewhere. Distances are bigger (much bigger) in Turkey so we figure we may as well attempt some overnighters on what are reputedly tremendously comfortable buses. We shall see. We've pegged out two places to visit before Istanbul, Olympos on the Mediterranean coast and Goreme in Cappadocia. The latter is the place with those cool stone conical deals and hotels with caves for rooms. Hey hey hey!

I anticipate full internet access in what are two very touristy/backpacker locales, but you never know, so be a little patient.

No comments: