Sunday, July 20, 2008

my last full day in I town

I write that last entry in installments because of its monstrous size.

Almost verbatim to what I wrote in my journal...I thought parts were quite good.

Today, was just about walking. I did silly things like walk all the way back to Taksim just to see if I could find Greenpeace canvassers who I had failed to photograph for some GP friends back in Canada, then I found some neat old buildings perhaps Genoese...late in Constantinople's history the enoese were able to get themselves eleveated trading rights in the region. Oh why can't I remember by Byzantium class????

Then I cruised pass teh spice bazaar...that had been the focal point for my day but last night I relaized it might be closed (Sunday's the day off in Turkey) and sure enough it was. No worry.

More wandering to fill the void. To the university, around the university, various famous mosques here and there that I can't be bothered to name or even stick my head inside (there's something wrong with my tenses there, I leave it to the grammaticians). Then I walked all the back to cembertas (or whatever) to decide if I wanted to take a Turkish bath. Basically a bath, but heated stones, steam and some cubby fellow scrubbing you down (and if you're really lucky massaging you). I had meant to do it in various places from Aqaba all the way north...thinking Aleppo would be ideal. Unfortunately the hammams (word for Turkish bath) in Aleppo were closed (the ones that looked nice at least) so it was left to Istanbul. Eventually I decided that I would forgo, 46 more lira to keep in my pocket and the knowledge I could do it next time (save up and get a full massage too!!!).

But while looking at the bath's pamphlet what did I see?????

Guess.

No.

Well it was aqueducts. I had gone up to the university in part to find an aqueduct which is located right behind it. I found it, shitty little thing (heh) but the pamphlet had another one further along. I hadn't gone far enough!!!! So I dragged my tired legs back again and found it. What a beauty. Nice and long, arcing over Attaturk Boulevard. The real question though was how to get up...I wandered its length and was fortunate enough to see some people scrambling up at a building. I followed their lead and had a pleasant stroll all the way along. And got to where I had seen some people sitting from teh ground and....if they weren't someking a big ol' lung.

I'm not going to provide more details than that, for the uninformed I'll just say a lung involves marijuana. Using some ill informed notions of pot smokers being the same the world over I feel I may have invited myself in for a little toke. Meh. Hopefully it isn't that hard to come by, and they looked decently blazed already. I think they wanted a bit of money, or maybe not. Whatever the case they got nothing, I wasn't actually very high and we all lept down at the other end of the structure.

An interesting experience, just wish I'd gotten more high. I mean if I'm going to do it anyway...

Now I sit in the Big Apple having frustrated a nut seller or two on the way home, my bags are packed and hopedully under 20 kg and tomorrow I have lots of time for my finishing touches and lunch and snacks before catching my airport bus at 1300 for a 1610 flight (check in starts at 1410).

I'll be one night in London before flying to Vancouver.

Blog entries between now and then? I don't know. Leave me alone.

2 comments:

Matt Cavers said...

Leave you alone? Not if you write the word "Vancouver" in your blog. Hope you have safe and enjoyable travel on your way to this part of the world. And get in touch if you have any free time when you're out here...

Matt Cavers said...

I should've signed that. "Matthew" is a bit mysterious. I'll continue in the same vein and give a hint: I have been known to play Manhunt at minus 20.