Wednesday, December 17, 2008

colour

As some of you may or may not know, I have become particularly enamoured with colour of late. Nothing in particular, just a general appreciation of colour and particularly vivid or unique examples I come across in daily life. I try to avoid all grey or black or blue days, and generally have something fancy going on with my shoelaces if nothing else.

Well, when I arrived here I noticed a tendancy amongst French people towards black. Sometimes grey, maybe white, but nothing exciting to my eyes. Even when one saw colours in a store display it was generally a muted purple, and that was it, maybe with a few subtle shade variations.

Now of course some people do wear a bit of colour, and I know the techtonique kids (it's a dance/music craze thing) certainly do their part, but the non colours prevail.

Case in point.

I was at a party the other day. Should be fun I thought, and as usual I put EXTENSIVE thought into my wardrobe. I ended up going with a nice pink t shirt and jeans. Nothing too crazy, but then about an hour after my arrival at the other dozen or so at the party, and I kid you not there was nothing but grey, black or white. NOTHING. Someone might have been wearing blue jeans, I can't remember, but if they were they were dark.

I bellowed something about this, people made fun of me because my shirt was actually the colour of the enemy Stade Francais rugby team, and all I could do was sigh. Later when I was complaining again after more people had arrived some girl pointed out she was wearing a pink t-shirt under her black one. Not quite the same lady.

Oh well. At least all the other people who actually had a colour had chosen pink.

No comments: