Tuesday, December 02, 2008

follow up

Something I realized agfter scampering away from the internet last night.

It isn't just unions that seem to get in on the strike mentality from time to time. I was in Orléans this past weekend and one of my trains there (yes, one of them, Rodez being Rodez there were a few), was halted at a station for a while.

I had no idea what was going on and wasn't really paying much attention. But then as we started to move again people began to walk past the windows, holding signs, and from the brief glimpses and brief translations I think the people in these smaller communities on the track north from Toulouse were displeased that the train didn't stop there. They wanted to go to Paris too, but to do that they needed to catch a locla train to a larger station.

This is similar to what I did, with the exception that they are right on the same line, but that's not the point of the story. The point is, when in doubt strike! It's both frustrating for me on the train, and commendable. I assume they have registered their concerns in other ways first of course, but to then go out and continue to try and do something about it...good for them.

Do I support them? I don't know. If I lived there I probably would, but I can't imagine it's that difficult to catch one train and then another, although it undoubtedly feels superfluous and excessive.

No comments: