Saturday, April 02, 2005

Food

Tha hardest thing about saying goodbye is going to be the food.

Especially here in Bangkok, where it is all so very cheap and there is such a diversity. The people I see sitting in restaurants munching on garlic bread and spaghetti...I dunno. I'd like some of thjat too but why bother when I can eat it at home.

I am currently trying to eat all the things I've eaten already, one last time. A noble cause but it can't be good for the waistline. Especially when you buy the huge pack of coconut puddings instead of the more logical smaller version. But they're sooooo good.

Along these food lines, the roti I find here just isn't the same as all the deliciousness available in roti form in Malaysia. They are so yummy down there, and bigger! Also, the preparation of rotis with the guys throwing the dough around stretching it out before folding it in on itself to fry is a sisght to behold. I thook a picture of a guy doing it here, but really should have taken on in Malaysia. When I got back here and watched one being made for the first time I was very disappointed. The skill just was not there. The dough rips, they don't stretch it as much...alas!

Good bye fruitshakes, and fruit and pad thai and rice porridge (that'll probably be in Japan mind you) and jelly ice sweets and rotis and sweet milk (I am buying tins when I get home) and all the other yummies. And goodbye to those low low prices.

And I finally had a REALLY good papya salad. I bought it from a lady with the whole 2 baskets setup (another important "last of" to get). I made sure to ask for no spicey and only got a touch of the dried sdhrimp fishy seasoning. It was REALLY good (as the other big REALLY above demonstrated). My fiorst papaya salad was in Bangkok early on, pre spicey knowledge and WOW! It was a tough sweaty lunch that I couldn't finsih followed that evening by...welll...yes. I also has another one in Luang Prabang but it was too fishy.

The only problem with stumbling upon a perfect salad this late in the game is the fact it makes me want top stay longer. Just for a salad! Now that's good!

No comments: