Sunday, December 05, 2004

Karaoke

Just to get this off my chest. sheesh.

The bus played these over and over on their VCD player (which I think only exists as a medium to serve teh Karaoke industry).

There are two types of videos they were showing. Thai and Laos. The Thai ones came some with artists and some with minimovies. Mini movies featured a guy and a girl, not being able to get together (limited mobney, work, mean father, etc.) They would remember one another and eventually get together at the end. At least part of this (usually all of it) would take place in slwo motion.
The ones featuring the artists use whatever camera angles (often just one straight on, but also 4 way splits and stuff). I shouldn't mock their editing techniques but I can lauhg at what they're filming. Drummers, hardcore longhaired drummers basically keep time on cymbals and the odd sanre hit (I cvould be a thai rock drummer and I have less rhythm than ... I can only thing of rude things directed at people with medical conditions). The guitarists are even better though. A lot of these songs I can't even hear a guitar, unless it's heavily synthed to sound like a traditional instrument (which would be odd). Then they show closeups of the guitarists anyway, featuring fancy fingerwork moving 5 times faster than the song, and not matching up with any noises I'm hearing from teh speakers.

Laos videos seemed filmede on a hi-8 camera and look they they're tourist packages, featuring shots of smiling people, Beer Lao signs, stone hjars and awkward zoom ins on empty bomb casings. Other tourist highl;ights they show includet the Friendship Bridge to Thailand and of course a series of buses. There was one with a story though. I had a guy in drag chasing another guy around. I think the storyline was teh ugly chick will get you in the end, even if you hide under a chicken cage. Who knows

I don't think this is me feeling superior as much as it's me laughing at cultureal differences (they dio it to me all the time).

Minbd you I don't know what Karaoke is like in Canada so maybe it's all the same. Perhaps someone who knows more could tell me, and tehn they could stop singing Karaoke adn get a life. Maybe...

Oh, adn tehy did randomly have some Charlie Chaplin movies mixed in with some of teh songs. That man is a genius...I never realized how much until I watched him on a bus in Laos.

No comments: