Monday, June 23, 2008

Amman history

So basically there are 4 or 5 million people in Amman today. Originally built on 7 hills it's now on a whole bunch more. Some edges tend to sprawl farther than others, but apparently a lot of its growth is simply due to the fact it has now connected to the Palestinian refugee camps and suburbs that surround it.

In 1948 there was only 30 000 people here and that jumped to 250 000 by 1960. Crazy! A part of that is Palestinian but apparently people tend to have more kids generally these days and for Amman's specific case a lot of people who formerly lived Bedouiny, nomadic or small town lives, have simply moved to the city.

Seeing the pictures of Amman around the Roman Theatre (I think they were 1920s ish) was cool. There was one or two houses behind, where now it's a wall.

Wandering the city I've also been noticing a distinct French Cambodian feel to the place. Now the French protectorates were Syria and Lebanon, but maybe their art deco influence managed to subtly wander down here as well? Or maybe it's just because I'm reading a book about Pol Pot (almost done Kristin, thanks) and it's hot out? Who knows.

Whtever the case. Amman is alright. And I actually do feel better about it now that I had an out and about day with lots of clambering. Do I want to live here? Mumkin, but I'd need to get a wicked apartment on a hill. That would be key, for both air quality and noise levels. I could see it. But I can see anything when I have some books to read and some other ones to write in.

No comments: