Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Syria

Woot!

Border went well, and I may have even been able to buy a visa there...meh, life is easier when it's already in your passport. Got to Damascus and ... hosed on the cab fare. Not the worst in the world, but a pain in the ass just the same. I talked him 'down' to about 5 times what we should have paid, but then he didn't have the right change and ... blech.

Very friend;y guy and the best part was he was busy negotiating all the drives he would take me on in the next few days while he was screwing me on the first one. Sure thing pal!!! Also, I really enjoyed when he was showing me his driver's license with his year of birth and asking for mine...are you sure you don't want to watch the road? No? Okay!

Like I said, a fine fellow to be sure.

Damascus, at least the immediate downtown seems super keen. Or at least fairly keen. There is a bit of a dearth of things to do (as awkwardly worded as that is). Mayhaps a place to relax more than site see, although the old city has plenty of that to do. The really weird thing about Dam. is because it is built on a plain there are straight roads and sightlines.

As I live and breath. I thought the hills of Amman were starting to wear on my mind a bit and I think I was right.

Already I have has a shwarma, tastes different than in Jordan, and found a store with a bunch of REALLY interesting maps of Syria. Maybe they were just for show??? Maybe they are for sale and I will soon be regretting my actions and also being poor. Mumkin.

This internet cafe is near the French cultural centre and there are some people chatting french in here. Maybe now is my time to start practicing. Or not.

No comments: