Saturday, June 28, 2008

english overseas

At the guest house I have had a number of conversations, as is my want, and they have got me thinking.

One Welsh fellow is currently working in Cairo for the British Council, teaching English and spreading the good word of British culture to all who will listen. He works about 4 days a week with fairly relaxed hours and gets reasonable holiday and pay.

Another feloow, Pierre the New Brunswicker, is currently living life in Saudi Arabia. Gets about 5 months holiday a year and is getting paid very well. Only draw back is he has to live in Saudi Arabia.

The conversations, however, have made me very aware of the teaching English opportunities that are out there. I don't think I can become insanely wealthy, but it seems you can make a living, and if you're a little bit careful with your money even put some of it away. And the time off...well if I could just get that whole self-discipline thing down I could actually do some writing.

Unfortunately, it also means living overseas for years at a time, with brief visits back, rather than living in Canada and travelling overseas. Decisions decisions. IU guess my upcoming stint in France will give me an idea of whether it is something I want to pursue.

No comments: