Wednesday, May 07, 2008

archaeology

OH BABY!

So basically the town of Humayma is asbig as it is. Google earth it or something...I dunno. There is an old Roman road leading to the town, but no one knows exactly where it is, and that is what me and my group have been tasked with fnding. We are digging far away from everyone else, out past the old Roman fort on a little mound beside the modern road (desert track).

No road.

BUT today in my little locus I found a wicked cool wall. So we don't know what we have but it is awesome. The fun thing about our dig sit is that it has never been dug at before. No one knows what might be there and given that it is out past the fort, far removed from the rest of town the guesses get to keep on coming. I have found some wicked cool bricks and lots of plaster and stucco as well as all sorts of wall bits. The stucco is interesting because it still has its paint. This means it was painted when the stucco was wet which generally means the person building the structure had money and therefore better workers. Fun.

Right at the end of digging today I lifted my foot and saw a piece of something. Upon closer inspection it looked like a scorpion. I should clarify the little piece of something was a rock and teh scorpion was carved. Or we were thinking it might be. Because it's rock the boss types feel it's mroe likely to be a fossil or just a random shape (I doubt that, it's a mighty fine likeness). Either way it is really cool. Now our site (officially E129) is now called Kasr al Acrab, or house of the scorpion.

Bad

Ass

Heh.

Unfiortunately during teh pottery clean up this afternoon the baggy that contained it has gone missing. Hopefully it will re-emerge. Either way, awesome.

If it's deemed to be a carving it stays, but if a fossil I might get it. I would rather it is a carving because it's such a nice piece and would change EVERYTHING we KNOW.

There is no antiquity taking of courem, but I'm allowed to take pebbles and lord do I have a lot. I'll sort them before I leave.

No comments: