Saturday, May 24, 2008

distances

I'm not sure if I mentioned this business already, but part of desert magic is how your sense of distance is totally lost. I suppose because there are few things between here and there (or hoona and hoonaka in the Arab vernacular) the distances seem far. But then you start walking and SURPIRSE! You're there already.

This is fun as you get to places you want to be much faster and also people tend to sneak up on you.

Bedouin tents are here and there behind this dune and that mound, and every once in a while someone gets bored and decides to see what we're up to. They're usually about 10 feet away before I notice them. Of course this might have something to do with the little detail of me having my head buried in various holes and sand piles.

Maybe.

No comments: