Tuesday, May 13, 2008

rain and Moses

I don't really have much new to add, and as I'm still trying to sort out flights back to Canada online I don't feel terribly blessed with time either.

Whatever the case here's a few points.

Yesterday it rained in the desert. Rained. Not poured or anything but it was still mighty strange. Not having the scorching sun in your eyes all day really throws you off and makes you that much more tired. Although the whole lower heat business is appreciated.

The Bedouin who work with us have a tendancy to assign names that are easier to pronounce. Some of them are cool and mean things like morning or beauty or other such nonsense. They took one look at me and called me Moussa. Aka Moses. Yes that one. Apparently I look like a guy who can lead some people to milk and honey. I'll be sure to keep you updated on my quest.

Today because we were opening a new square in search of the road I was left alone in my whole about 100m past everyone else. Good times. It is unbelievable how quiet the desert is. So today I picked and shoveled and hauled and sweated but I also sat in the bottom of my hole and stared at teh dirt wall, looking for patterns or lines or something. Fortress of solitude. Good times.

I'm about 1.5 metres down now and the thing we thought might be clay brick still might be, but it isn't really clear enough to say definitively so off I go elsewhere. First I have to tidy up the baulks (sides) and make sure everything is ship-shape for the final photo, then I'll likely move to the new square and start helping look for the road.

Sitting in holes in the desert is actually a very hot experience. I'm nowhere near deep enough to have a big shadow and at noon it makes little difference anyway. So all the hole ends up doing is taking you out of the wind.

Sweaty.

Lots of water though so I'm rocking.

No comments: