Monday, May 19, 2008

Picnic and shobak

As I was feeling under teh weather and therefore napped (and may have already mentioned it) I'll say the picnic on rocky rolling hills, underneath some holly like trees, enjoying the afternoon and a cup of chai was just lovely.

Lots of locals picnicing here and there. Just great.

The castle was super weet. Shobak by name. Amer got his start in this place so the tour was extensive. Lots of towers and arrow slits and great panoramic views out over teh hills. Quite an intimidating presence. As I mentioned the castle had two underground springs that it could draw from, and by underground I mean at the bottom of the mountain, reached via a long assed underground set of stairs.

We descended that tunnel to close off our adventure, and given not everyone had flashlights there were nervous moments, but we worked it out and it was a tremendoues tiome had by all. I'm just glad I wasn't doing something silly like...hmmm, hacking the stairs out of the rock and hauling the rock to the surface or hauling water from down there during a siege. Sheesh.

The funny thing is, the spring is just about 8 feet underground at the base of teh mountain so if Saladin had known where to look he would have found his way into the castle faster than the 8 month siege that was needed.

Great castle, good defences, but since I expect to see some better ones and I'm already writing a lot I will save the details.

No comments: