Sunday, May 11, 2008

Digging and Wadi Rum

Life continues. More digging.

We aren't finding much at our current location. The scorpion palace has thus far been a bust. I got to go at the desert with pick and shovel today, a nice change from the standard wisk broom and trowel so that was nice. But after going down about 35cm nothing is really apparent. Tomorrow we start a new square to search for this darned road. We'll find it yet.

On our weekend (ie Friday) we went to Wadi Rum. Good times. This is the place where Lawrence hid out for a while during his fight against the Ottomans. We even got to see the spring that he bathed in. He had to climb a steep hill of fallen rocks to get to it so I hope he liked it. We also had a bit of desert driving and saw some paleolithic carvings in one of those classic Jordanian rock crevices. (smoooth red rock walls etcv etc).

While in them we did some scrambling and I had a hard time getting down, the rocks were simply too smooth. Once I was down however, the real fun started, getting Zoe down. It's a lot easier getting her up. In the end I was perched legs apart (one on each canyone wall) while I talked her down from hold to hold with the help of a nice German woman. Good times, and I don't think we were ever RELALLY in danger. It would have been a bit of a fall I suppose, but the rock was SMOOTH! So it wouldn't have been that bad.

Short entry today, I need me some sleep. These 430 mornings are killing me.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering I was never planning top go Lebanon.

No comments: