Wednesday, January 26, 2005

girl in my dorm

I had a chat with a girl who was staying in my dorm and it made me realize a few things. She has been travelling since he end of December, and what she had been planning on as a ten month trip had in her mind already dropped to one. SHe seems to be perhaps a little homesick...

Anyway, what was interesting was the fact that she had all sorts of things to say about Cambodia that I hadn't notcied at all. I'm not going into the details because unless you've seen it for yourself it's just a matter of he said she said. Suffice it to say, I looked upon Cambodians more positively. Well one thing that bugged me, "Why don't they find something else to do to make money" about the beggars, which I also found irritating, and apparently she hasn't seen any in Vietnam.

ANyway, I think her negative experience might have been connected to the fact it was the first place she landed. When you land and are jetlagged (I know from Bangkok) everything just sucks. This negative outlook can influence how you see things, and can make a whole country look bad. (I know when I went back to Bangkok for go round number 2 I liked it a lot more) That and while she complained about tiring of all the moving around (part of the reason she wasn't enjoying travel) she went through the entirity of Cambodia in about three weeks...that's tooo fast, so of course she didn't like it.
I think the first point has more relevance to me.

When I arrived in Vietnam I was travelling alone and was therefore lonely for the first time. That and being tired from Bangkok and cold from Hanoi gave me a negative intial outlook of Vietnam. Although my time here has been spent fairly positively I still hold a certain grudge against the country. Vietnam is my least favourite country, but I am still trying to look upon it positively because that's just a relative statement.

I'm sure if I came here again with 46 good friends it would seem much better.

Did that make sense? No? TOO BAD. I'm sorting out a close personal relationship I have with the country of Vietnam. Whoever's reading this can muck through it (or not) at their own peril. if you want clarification on anything feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

And to the girl in my dorm...yes, if you move every 3 days it WILL feel like you're always moving. She was a bit out of it.

No comments: