Wednesday, January 12, 2005

solo

So on January 10th 2005 Giuliana and I bid a tearful farewell (not me I'm a big man...and...oh jeepers get me a tissue).

For those not in the loop she is off to become famous for being the best English teacher in Japan. It isn't a very good reason to be famous, but it's only the first thing and she'll be famous for something better later in life.

I had originally planned to go with her for a week and then return to Canada. Instead I'm staying in SE asia for another 3 months. I just can't get enough of this spending next to nothing on life business.

I am lonely, that's for sure, but I'm getting over it already. And I'm taking all those proactive steps to meet people and not end up talking to my imaginary travel companion, Yellow Camelus. He's a yellow camel and a warrior from Japan, well he's real but he's a toy.

The hardest thing so far is having no one around to tell those little things to. Like I write a lot of crap here, but I see so much more. It was great having someone that you could tell whatever just popped into your head and then let it float away. Now I have to jot things down or my brain eventually bursts. And although I write a lot here, I don't tell you all the interesting things like how good a dumpling I ate was, or all the interactions I have with moto drivers ("Moto?" No thanks, next driver, 3 FEET AWAY "moto sir"..."umm no." and so on) ANyway, no more snide remarks from me.

I also have the unfortunate tendency of saying some stupid things. Giuliana was used to it so I could speak, but I have to be a bit careful with new friends.
Also if I don't speak to someone regularly, it builds up. When I do get to speak I'm very disorganized (jumping between subjects) and interrupt and speak to fast anbd am genereally MORE difficult than normal to follow.

I just need to learn a new way to travel, and I'll be fine.

No comments: