Monday, January 03, 2005

Jodge Nam Tmoy

That is Khmer for Happy New Year.

I asked someone how to say it, then began repeating to anyone and everyone, for one day at least and it made me realize something. We all know that when travelling people appreciate that you at least try to learn the language, and everywhere we have gone so far we've picked up the basics (very basic).

In other places in Cambodia we were a novelty just by being there, but in Siem Reap, a place that gets a lot of tourists, only here for a week, who never go elsewhere in Cambodia we became a novelty because we could say thank you in Khmer. When I said thanks after using the internet last, the guy got a HUGE smile on his face. When I was wishing people a Happy New Year there was much merriment on both sides.

Maybe this is just a congratulatory post, me saying to myself, 'well done' and if it is who cares. Little things can make such a big difference so why not do them?

No comments: