Wednesday, January 26, 2005

My brilliant plan and observations

My previously mentioned scheme I was developing turned into nothing because I deci9ded against it. I was thinking of wandering over to where all the fishermen live and trying to pay for myself to go out with them for their fishing one night. I read somewhere about someone doing it for about 100000 dong. I decided against it for a number of reasons...the cost was one, but more importantly it was a full moon. Part of the reason I would want to go out there would be the stars, and a full moon would kill that. ANother reason is the tour agents are actually offering night fishing trips. I assume that'd be similar to what I wanted to do and if it's already becoming a mass market thing I may as well just do it at home. I'm sure some BC salmon boys would be happy to take me out and about. And when they offered to give me a try at the various gear (something I'm sure the Vietnamese would think I wanted) at least I'd be able to explain I'm just here for the ride.

Trucks here make a noise when backing up. No the beep-beep-beep we all know and love. Instead they play songs, yesterday I heard a Christmas carol (I don't know which one but a bit more obscure than say silent night). I wonder if the trucks come with those or you buy them to personalize your truck, like a cell phone ring. There's a truck outside the cafe right now with a normal ping, so those exist too.

I know people go on a bout full moons and sunrises all the time, but there really is something to the whole rigamarole. Here in Nha Trang the beach is just great and sitting on it last ni9ght with the moon, ther eflection and the rolling waves, it really is all that. Then this morning I got up at 5 AM (5AM...the things you can do when TV isn't keeping you up) and watched all the people exercising (more on that l;ater) and the sun come up. Again, when poets and artists harp on these things there are good reasons. ONe if you're a crap poet or artist it's tough to mess up a perfect sunrise, and two they really are that great.

Ya, so Nha Trang (the town I'm in for one more night) really is great. Lots of stuff to do, and a fairly bumping bar/night scene. I'm a penny pincher though so none of that for me.

No comments: