Sunday, January 23, 2005

Hue to Hoi An

I did it on a bus, and we went through the mountains.

These mountains are some kind of amazing, let me tell you. Driving south they approach teh coast in a mencaing way, slowly shutting down the gap until eventually all that's left is mountains and water. That's when the bus starts going up.
At a pass at the topwe stopped for 15 minutes and let me tell you, AWESOME! The view was top notch, looking back on the road snaking its way around teh sides of mountains, the mist and clouds flowing around you and hyropylons stringing their wires into the distance. Then if you looked WAY down you could see golden sandy beaches and teh whitecaps reaking against them. On top of that, there was a bunch of pillboxes up top and some kind of cool old gate (I'm going to assume it's ancient just to make it cooler). The vendors didn't even bother me, probably because I was running around trying to take it all in and they couldn't keep up.

Hoi An is a lovely town. At least the old town is, the rest is lovely but the same shit you'd find in most other Vietnamese towns, perhaps more hotels though. There are certain museums, old houses, temples and other sites you can visit, and to do that you pay 75000 dong and get to pick one from each of 5 sections on the ticket (ie one old house, one museum etc). Looking at the options I wasn't to impressed, so I gve the ticket a skip and saw what I wanted to see...just wandering the streets was pretty good and you can peer in places before they know you're there.
Today I went to more UESCO fun, this time at My Son, a set of old Cham ruins. It was a religious site, and quite lovely, but after Ankor, what can you do? They haev 7 or so sites, some closed for preservation work, and only one in really good shape (American bombs have something to say about that).

So all in all some interestig stuff. I'm heading down to Nha Trang on an overnight bus tomorrow, and won't be there long. I'm beginning to formulate a scheme for an adventure when I'm there. But it may come to nothing so I won't give it away just yet.

No comments: