Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Bits and bobs

My first day at the tourney I happened to be sitting near some Canadians. A visiting brother and his sister who had been recruited to Hing Kong 3 years before to teach yoga. Later in the day I also met the hubby and daughter. ANyway, they were a valuable resource on Hong Kong and where I got much of the information on previous tournaments etc etc.

The security guards. The sorriest bunch of security guards I've ever seens. Frail and not quite there people, men and women (out of shape, older etc.) that sat on their little stools staring at the crowd, not even flinching when things came close to them. I didn't see one do anything. There were some supervisors wandering who seemed to do things but that was it. The reason I mention them is they are symblomatic of something prevalent in Hong Kong, little people who think they have a big job. They take it very seriously and they DO NOT bend for anything. Most were too lazy but as I said the supervisors took this attitude to the extreme. Some inflatable toy bounces into their realm and BANGO! they snatch and the look I see on their face, like taking pleasure in stealing a child's favourite toy (a good analogy for drunk rugby fans).

Hong Kong is an expat centre without a doubt. Chinese things are around, but on the island most of the set up is for expats. Bars and pubs and restaurants all just like home. I think the whole sevens tournament is there as an excuse to invite other white folks over for a visit. Or at least originally. Pretty cool though, and once that whole school thing is out of the way maybe I'll have a look at Hong Kong for a job (teaching English or something) over Japan. It's a place that undoubtedly needs to be lived in to get a clue, like so many others no doubt.
It's kinda like Singapore but withan edge, and more road level pollution (good and bad respectively).

I'm losing my focus here.

Hong Kong, intereing. There are lots of explores within the SAR (HAHAHAHA Special Administrative Region) many of which I didn't get to. There's a giant Buddha walk I could have done, and on that same island (Lantau Hing Kong's biggest) they are currently building a new Disney Land. Yahoo! I guess they're looking for the Chinese market.

Again, since my thoughts are so muddled I'll tell you when I talk to you, or you can ask specific questions.

No comments: