Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Modernity and socializing

I have been a mmuch more personable person on this trip, at certain points. I noticed while I was in Indonesia I was the most social and outgoing. This was also the time when I was in the most self perceived danger. (Just me worrying about this that and the opther thing).

It got me thinking though, and I'm sure others have formed this better than I am about to, but so be it...early stages. Modernity allows people to be anti social brutes. Back in the cave man days you needed all your friends if you were going to bring down that wooly mammoth for supper. Now, no one is needed so people can fall back into their hidy holes and never come out.

Hmmm, I thought I had more there, oh well.

I noticed when I got back to Malaysia I fell back into less talking. I'm still doing alright and socializing but not to the same degree as I was in INdonesia. Malaysia is much easier to get around, with so much English spoken, and there isn't the same urge to find protection. Also the numbers of travellers are larger...maybe that makes it easier to hide.

In Bangkok, especially Khao San Road, there are sooo many travellers I wouldn't know where to begin as far as making friends. The guesthouses just don't have the same a shelter from the real worlds outside. The whole khao san area is a shelter from the real Bangkok and it's tough to make the personal connections.

One of many long winded essays to consider in the next while

No comments: