Sunday, March 13, 2005

Melacca, Malaka, Ding dong

Lovely place this. ALl sorts of history, as one would expect giving how many times the place changed hands. Malakan to Potuguese to Dutch to British to Dutch to British to Malaysian, to James. Uh oh. Don't worry I'll give it back.

Nice town, and although I thought I wold run out of things to do I managed to walk slow enough to spread things out the whole time I was here. Having the crazy Italian helped too.

I shouldn't say crazy, I should just say Italian, because we are talking serious stereotype. I'll specify even more, southern Italian. Mother loving, bachelor for life rich playboy whose gotten old kinda fella. He's quite a person. Tough to follow and even harder to get away from but he takes up time. I now know too many details of his life to go into it now but yikes. Formerly received a few thousand a month from teh family businesds, since bankrupt. His new allowance has forced him to stay in Malacca for three months, saving enought o fly out. He has an ear problem, toe problem, robbed by a fake tourist, lost his prized negatives and finds backpackers here very standoffish. He thinks that why he's been talking so much. It's all been bottled up, a feeling that I'm familiar with. But since in 4 days he's showed no signs of slowing down, I think it must be a pretty big bottle.

That vegetarian restaurant I've been eating at is the bee's knees. At RM1 a meal it's kept costs down but it's also pretty darn healthy. If there was something like that at home I'd be a vegetarian in a second (except for once in a while). I honestly thing the reason I don't consider a change like that is simply laziness.
It's run by Buddhists who just think vegetarianism is super! Now that I've been going there for a while the people that run the place know me and we chat most times I come in. It's very nice.

It also has had some other...interesting??? consequences. Now I'm not saying my shit doesn't stink, but it's kinda nice these days. Like there's a flowery hint to it, very pleasant. How do I know what my poop smells like? Well, I just do okay. ;)

No comments: