Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Hong Kong here

I know I wasn't going to use the internet, but my budget mindset has flown RIGHT out the window. I'm at a Pacific Coffee shop and they have free internet for customers. I bought a tea, but I think I should have gone with hot chocolate.

Heh, oh well.

Lovely city, reminds me a lot of vancouver. What with the mountains, water taxis, mist and temperate climate. I'm on top of "The Peak" which is not actually the peak, but simply the area they've decided to flatten out and develop on teh main mountain on the island itself. Because I only have 2 days to explore before rugby starts I've been wandering the city today and tomorrow I'll hit up Kowloon. SHould be peachy.

There are oodles of curio shops, if you're into ancient Chinese treasures, or even ones that are acssociated with Mao and friends. Lots of those too. I'm a particular fan of the China dolls (hahaha China) of various worker heroes, riding rockets and waving joyfully. The escalator is pretty fun. And SOOOOOOOOOOO long. I think it's the longest one in the world. It isn't all one huge escalator just a whole whack of smaller ones slowly making their way up the hill. Honk Kong is a really steep city in places, with some interesting views down,through all the Chinese shop and restaurant signs.

Of course given the choice of riding the tram up or walking I'd prefer the tram, but budget haasn't left me totally so, I hiked up the hill, uggh. Love that old British engineering though.

No comments: