Tuesday, March 22, 2005

ding dong Hong Kong (heh heh that rhymed)

These blog things are getting to be such a chore. Wouldn't it be more fun if I just disappeared? No? Okay. I'll keep going.

Saw various sights in Hong Kong. Went up THe Peak again because it was sunny the day after my last post. Had to get that picture you know. Also went around Kowloon, the place right across the water from Victoria Island, and saw some neat things. I really like the markets they set up. It's a mall but in tents along the street. The bird market however is a little different. This particular bird market is in a park made especially for it. They sell birds and cages and all that jazz of course, but some people bring their birds to the park, just to take 'em for a walk and hang out with other birdies. I think they have singoffs some times but I didn't see any. Very pretty birds though. ANd all their dishes are like the blue and white porcelain one normally associates with China, but in ministuire for the birds. The fish market, and all its fish in plastic bags wasn't quite as cool. They didn't sing as well. The markets for fish and flowers and some other stuff are just clusters of stores along streets, all selling the same thing. At least you know where to go when you need something.

For some strange reason I really enjoyed the wholsale fruit market. Didn't buy a crate of oranges or anything like that, but it was cool.

I did various other things in Hong Kong and enjoyed a great Chinese restaurant I found night after night. Even tried to stick with vegetarianism as much as I could. But it's tough, salads stink, and one of the reasons I stuck with this Chinese place is because it had various delicious veggie options in LARGE quantities. I'm still eating meat, but if there's a viable veggie option I try to go with that.

I haven't been eating a lot of pasta dishes, instead I find rice is the ideal thing to go down with the veggies, just to make sure you feel full.

But back to Hong Kong. My sign off comment about British engineering a few days ago...the place is undoubtedly British and feels Vancouvery too. Probably because they're BOTH BRITISH! Genius. The trams and roads wedged in here and there between mountain and water are just great. When I went to Stanley on the ther side of the island, the narrow streets, and grocery stores in old buidlings gave me the Britain feel. Vancouver received its thoughts (maybe North and West V.) from the roads wedge between mountain and ocean and the beaches here and there. I know I'm not making too much sense but thems the breaks. I'm actually writing this paragraph after writing the rest of this entry and all the others so I'm a little mentally fatigued, or something.

No comments: