Thursday, March 03, 2005

Jakarta

So big scary Jakarta (which is te most dangerous place in Indonesia), is surviveable. The port is cool, and the maritime museum was fun.

The old Dutch buildings were just lovely.

The train ride, that was golden. I'm talking ekonomi, and all the locals who talked to me "why are you on this train? The other one is AC and faster and less crowded." I couldn't make them believe I was trying to save money.
It certainly was a hot ride once the people atarted piling in, but heh, it was fun. ALl the vendors walking the aisles selling everything! The toys and inflateable swim rings aimed at the kids to razors and nail clippers. Even atlases and dictionaries. Funny stuff. My favourite though was a pink cell phone with a barbie looking character on it called "benign girl" HMMMM.
And of course there were foods and drinks.

Leaving Bogor on teh airport bus, I hs some good views over Jakarta from teh toll road. It is on really packed place, and there's a lot of dirty stuff. Not much room so the power lines (big pylons) tip toe through housing areas (not along green belts or anything). People have set up houses underover passes. They look just like any other street, with a local store and what not, but it's under a road.

I nevr stayed there over night so I can't judge I suppose, but when I was there my lungs ugggggh. Not pleasant.

Oh, and a quick thing I went to the mall with Agung and his friend, they needed to get something. So clean and ACed and different from everywhere else (and it was the plain mall apparently). Agung's friend works for a discount airline that has been having a price war on domestic flights in Indonesia and is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, he has a wife and an 8 month old son and is considering his employment options. Indonesia, Canada it's all the same.

No comments: