Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Cameron Highlands

As I've been travelling, in teh back of my mind I've been assessing places. Looking at them for what they would provide on a return trip analso what kind of writing I could get down to. So far the CH takes the cake.

It's an old British Hill Station built I believe for the first time in the 1920s. The temperature is great, about 2-26 during teh day, and it cools right down at night, so a few more pairs of long johns wouldn't go amiss next time. There are all kinds of jungle trails you can hike, with some of them only having a semblance of markings so it's a lot more fun! Then of course there are tea plantations all about, so after going for a long hike you can sit back and stare out at teh wonderful green hills, enjoying a cuop of very fresh tea. I think I've taken far too many pitures of various green landscapes so I'm trying to cut back. There are a few too many new tourist apartment blocks, but I didn't know the place without them and when you're in the jungle you can't see them!
I'm staying at Father's Guesthouse. On land owned by teh Catholic Church/Convent but run by a wonderful Indian family. Great restaurant, movies on teh big screen, lots of places to sit and write and very close to lots of cheap and tasty roti canai down town (downtown being about a 5 minute walk long). SUPER! Oh,. and roti Canai in a plastic bag and the curry thrown in on top is great for jungle hikes. By the time you get aroung to eating it, the roti has sucked up all the curry. Delicious.

For those in the know I will also add that the smells I get wng around here are a mixture of Granny's house and the cottage. WHo could ask for more than that?
I also calculated it and found out I could rent a permanent dorm bed for $682 US a year or thereabouts. Then of course I was talking to an older guy in the dorm, and he's a travel writer and photgrapher. He lives in Borneo and actually does keep a permanent bed here. Been here since September he tells me.

Cameron Highlands. Top place. I had decided before I left KL that I was going to give the big national park, Taman Nagara, a miss this time around. I figured I could return at t a future date with proper boots etc and get more out of it. Then I cam here and agreed with my decision even more. Now I can spend more time here, and return for cool down sessions between various hot cities.

No comments: