Tuesday, February 15, 2005

travel slowdown

I've been finding that after I hit the Cameron Highlands the whole concept of travelling to new places has lost some of its lustre. Of course I'm still going places and seeing things, but there is a certain pleasant attraction to shacking up in the mtns for a few more weeks, reading, writing and watching movies, going for jungle walks periodically and eating roti canaii all the time.

(roti canaii -- I've mentioned it before and will say again. Awesome. For 60-80 sen you get to eat cheap and be fulfilled until lunch. I just can't say enough and am genuinely concerned about the fact there won't be roti canaii available when I get home.)

At the start of travelling Giuliana and I took a try to the north of Thailand, we just bought seats, not berths. We took all sorts of bus rides that just went on and on and on. Through all those I was able to be calm, consider myself a traveller and be happy. In Vietnam I had one overnight bus trip. When it was over I was overjoyed thinking how it was the last one for a long while. Now I'm looking ahead to some long trips in Indonesia and am not pleased at all. Also, I've taken to finding night trains and buying berths. I'm living large! Still on a very good budget but I've released some of the demons and allowed myself a few pleasures. After Indonesia I'm sleeping on a train to Indonesia then it's short bus rides until I start my attack on Thailand.

Deal with it as it comes I suppose.

No comments: