Thursday, February 24, 2005

Yogya

Saw the Sultan's palace, the Kraton, a big whoopy doo, and the ruins of tyhe old water palace. That was really cool, they way all the houses are squeezed in and around. Lots of fun.

Then I actually succumbed to Batik. It's a traditional Inodnesian art form using dyes on cloth and wax and stuff. There are galleries and stores ALL OVER and people constantly trying to get you in the door and buying. Me being on a budget wasn't interested in the slightest. Then someone pointed me towards the "government run house" and since the guy who pointed me there didn't follow for a commission I figured it might be truthfully the government place. I've since begun to have doubts, or maybe the government is just as eager for a little Batik money (wouldn't surprise me). So I saw one piece, and this has never happened to me with art before, but I really really liked it. It was small and not tooo toooo much so I bought it. Then of course the barrier had been broken in my mind and I started looking at EVRYTHING. I managed to stop myself at 2 more pieces but I was dangerously close to many more. They only cost about $6-7 CDN each but that really messes with my budget... oh well. Live and learn I guess.

The next day I went to Borobodur, a big Buddhist temple and one of my readsons for coming here and paid $10 US to get in ($40 for all the temples of ANgkor over 3 days so 10 is a bit much). That is really expensive. To get out people have set up fake exits so you have to weave through vendor after vendor then you're still in the park. Everyone trying to make a living. Then the next day to Prambanan temples, this time Hindu ones. I'll talk about them in a bit,

No comments: