Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Penang/Georgetown and so forth

Ugggh. Coming out of the cool Cameron Highlands was a shock to the ol' system. But I reclimatized fairly quickly. The ride down the mtns was quick, like the driver really needed to go to the washroom or something because we were rocketing. Out of boredom I started working out our speed with my watch and the kilometre markers on the roadside. We were above 80 for a lot which isn't that fast until you remember we're on the sides of mountains, with curves, hairpins and all.

Georgetown is the first British settlement in the region, before Singapore and Melacca for those with a thirst for knowledge. Once again there are a HUGE pile of mosques, churches and temples here. I've taken to doing walkbys as opposed to going into most. This saves me money and the aggravation of seeing the same things over and over. Don't get me wrong, they're all lovely, but I've seen the lovely already.
There's also a fort that I had a wander through, and some crazy old mansions and whatnot. Then I also went up Penang Hill. It's just a mountain outside of town, that you can either walk up or take the funicular (sp?) railway. Man are those fun! I have a thing for modes of public transit and discovered an interest in old railways on this trip, so just the ride up was a hoot. The hill itself was more "built up" than I thought. It's mostly tree covered but there are a few temples, cottages and former hotels/sanitoriums spread around the sides and at the top. WHen I say built up I mean these structures but also the stations along the railway, built onto the mountain side and there for people who happen to wander down a jungle trail and catch the train part way I suppose. Each train that goes up also has a little wagon that it carries supplies in. While up there I did a canopy walk. Springy catwalks through the tops of trees, with just enough movement to get you mildly nervous.

SO Penang is supposed to be a centre where a lot of thinkers, revolutionaries and that type of person has come through. That very well could be, but I get the feeling things may have changed. I was thinking a more laid back scene before my arrival, but as we were crossing the bridge I realized my error in thinking. Cars cars and cars heading both ways. Although the areas around the back of the island may be more empty, this side is cars and roads and more of the same. You can wander around the old city but periodically have to negotiate a few lanes. It just makes me think the revolutionaries will have to find a new place to sit in quiet contemplation.
Why do they all come here? My guess is they arrive normal and sleep in places that are too hot and stuffy. They don't sleep well and eventually go crazy and then become revolutionaries, just a guess.

My sleep actually went quite well. I had to lie very still, but I'm getting used to this whole heat business. Can't wait to get back to the highlands of course but for now I can deal with it. I'm actually considering skipping the east coast beaches and sitting in the highlands for another week after Hong Kong before heading to Bangkok. We shall see.

No comments: