Thursday, February 24, 2005

INDONESIA!!!!

I'll admit it, I was very nervous to come here. I'll tell you why specifically in about a week. Don't want to jinx anything. But I arrived.

Waiting for the plane to leave I was thinking, "oh good, there are some other tourists going to Jakarta". Turns out they were all on a flight to Bangkok leaving from the same gate.
Got to Jakarta and sure enough I was the only face even resembling non-Asian, except for one really grim faced guy storming to his car in the parking lot (obviously been there for a while). I caught the bus to the train station and rather than stay in Jakarta bought a train ticket to Yogyakarta (aka Jogjakarta but more commonly Jogja, or Yogya, the y sounds like a j). It didn't leave for a while so MORE WAITING!!!!!!!! This time in a new place and not in AC and for even longer. Soooooo much fun you couldn't believe. Where's the sarcasm button? As I wrote in my journal, "This aimless sitting is driving me bonkers!" So it all the free time was obviously not conducive to writing thoughtful anything.
Once on the train and rolling, my mood lifted and I was in great form once again. Chatted with a pharmacy student beside me who REALLY likes Celine DIon and actually slept on the train ride. That is a rarity in the extreme.
Got to Yogya, found a nice place and saw the sights.

No comments: