Thursday, February 03, 2005

food

Why do I take such pride in eating like a local????? Dunno although I've asked the question about 67 times on here already. I've decided I'm pleased when I stick to a budget, but also pleased to stick out a little. If someone says, where did you eat while travelling? And I say at restaurants, everyone says "that's nice". If however I answer "Oh I ate 5000 doing bowls of soup bought from ladies who carry it on their shoulders, or at a restaurant where teh stools get set out on the sidewalk for the evening" that sets me apart a little bit.

While travelling I have in my mind (not on purpose it's just 6there) the image of what for me is the perfect traveller. By eating on the cheap I bring myself closer to this imagined perfection (or something ---- if that wasn't religious imagery, YIKES!)

Of course there's always the fact that why pay 25000 for the bowl of soup that can be had for 5ooo a few steps away. So I get a chair and table, I'd still feel kinda jipped. And what about western food? That is saved for when I need a pick me up (I'm so strung out on crack that isn't often - joke) or when I have money left and I'm leaving a country. I've been gorging a little bit today. Somebody's going to be tubby if he isn't careful!

No comments: