Friday, February 04, 2005

should have mentioned

I got hit by a motorcycle in Saigon. Not a big hit, just a graze, but man was I angry.

Maybe I didn't see him because he was driving down the middle of the street, the wrong way down a one way street and I was looking the other way at that traffic. Maybe he hit me because his warning consisted of "yo" a split second before he hit me. I guess we'll never know.

Letme say, it is sooooo infuriating to look at a pack of Vietnamese moto drivers, all their faces are set in an empty stare and they're all just thinking, "I have to get to wher I'mgoing and damn everyone else". The light turned red? I still have tome to get through the intersection...
Construction work? Every time there's a tiny gap I'll go through, slowing the work and making the delay long er for everyone....

You know how when there's a holdup on a highway and everyone waits, inching forward a little bit at a time, but then there's always one idiot who has to drive up the shoulder of the road? Well imagine a nation full of those people.

I think my periodic fantasies of seeing a motodriver smashed onto the front of a bus is well founded. And if the stats of 13000 traffic fatalities a year in Vietnam that tour guides always quote are correct, I'm surprised I didn't get to see it.

No comments: