Thursday, February 03, 2005

Saigon

Saigon is an interesting place. Unfortunately for all of you writing is tiring me (read boring) and I'm going to abbreviaet. However, I'll make you all a deal. I will graciously allow you to listen to me talk your ear off about any details that are lacking when I get home.

SAigon. Tintin shirts. They're cool. KFC, colonel SAnders really looks like Ho Chi Minh (HA!). CuChi Tunnels, outside of town and from teh Vietnam war, holy cool! These things are tiny and not pleasant, expecially if people are trying to kill you. We did a 120m stretch and man oh man, my shoulders are a bit scratched from a few places where the tunnel said "you must only have even rice in the past 6 years to enter here". Everything's within walking distance...hmmm.

2 museums today. One I really liked because I was able to note a few errors in the setup and was also able to recognize how things had been placed so as to send an underlying message on Vietnam, it's place in the world and Communism. Being able to constructively break thing down???? University must have done some good. Now to apply my skills... dang.
The other museum, The War Remnants Museum I liked because it was fairly balanced. It had a section with all sorts of photos taken by journalists o both sides and bios of tonnes of them (crazy research), and also had examples of all the nasty things the French, Americans and South Viwetnamese did (with the US knowing) to various Vietnamese. It isn't anything earth shattering, My Lai massacre and Agent OPrange are common knowledge, but it's good for it to be there. The US isn't hiding fascts or denying teh truths but we need to remember these sorts of things....nobody's perfect not erven purported beacons of freedom. Abu Garhib prison anyone????? Hmmmmm.

And that's Saigon I guess. Good food, seventh floor dorm, so I burn lots of it off. Oh and I also did a trip to the Mekong Delta!@ Pure coconut candy is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Pure as in no sugar added.

No comments: